FORGIVENESS BRINGS US FREEDOM
"L" = Look Up
Audio to come!
Question: What does it mean to forgive others seventy times seven?
Answer: You don’t keep records of someone’s sins toward you!
The Facts Concerning Forgiveness:
I. What Forgiveness Is Not:
A. It is not conditional. - L - Luke 23:34
B. It is not minimizing the offense.
C. It is not resuming a relationship without change.
1) Forgiveness is an instant thing.
2) Trust is built over time.
3) The offender must demonstrate repentance.
4) The offender must make restitution - Luke 19:8-10
D. Forgiveness is not forgetting what happened.
“And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”
E. Forgiveness is not for everyone but for the one hurt.
II. Real Forgiveness Includes 3 Steps
A. Forgiveness relinquishes my right to get even.
“…Vengeance is Mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”
1) Fairness has nothing to do with forgiveness.
“…Lest any root of bitterness springs up and causes trouble and by this many become defiled.”
B. Respond to evil with good. - L- Matthew 5:44
1) Pray for God to bless the offender.
2) Ask God to let you see the offender’s hurt.
C. Repeat the process of forgiveness. – L - Matthew 18:21,22
1) Have unlimited forgiveness. – L- Matthew 6:14,15
2) Remember Jesus’ forgiveness for you.
“Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.”
Four Points of Interest:
1. God has forgiven you.
2. Bitterness robs you of joy.
3. Forgiveness is a two-way street. – L- Matthew 6:12
4. Forgiveness is not easy, but it’s a command from God.
– L- Matthew 18:21,22